Have you ever wondered how your crockpot works? The inserted bowl is made of a type of stoneware and surrounding it is the element that heats up the food within. The temperature it produces is safe to simmer your food for hours while you are working.
The best thing to do is get your crockpot meal into the cooker before you head out for work. When you get home, you will have a warm meal waiting for you. Crockpot meals are perfect for those busy weeknights.
There are different sizes available. The larger sizes (6-quart) are perfect for family sized meals. The smaller sizes (1-2 quart) are great for making hot dips.
For the best results (no burning) it is best to fill up the cooker to half full. Be sure to leave on the cover while cooking to prevent any splatters and to keep the heat inside.
The stoneware is super easy to clean. For even easier clean up, you can now purchase liners for your crockpot.
Recommended reading: Best Paleo Diet Cookbooks
Here are two of my favorite crockpot recipes:
- 1 rack of pork ribs
- 1 Tsp garlic powder (Here are some great garlic presses for you!)
- 1 Tsp seasoned salt (Check out our recommended salt and pepper grinder sets!)
- 1 Tsp lemon pepper
- 1 Tsp poultry seasoning
- 1 Tsp onion powder (Here are some great onion choppers for you!)
- BBQ Sauce
- Cut ribs into thirds.
- Mix seasonings together in a bowl then rub over ribs.
- Cook for 6 hours on low, in crock pot.
- Baste with BBQ sauce.
- Keep on warm for 2 more hours & eat!
Black Bean Soup
- 2-3 tbsp olive oil (Here’s some olive oil dispensers you may like)
- 1 tbsp garlic, minced, heaping
- 1 bag frozen chopped carrots
- 2 cans of black beans
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 cup chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 tsp oregano
- 2 bay leaves, optional
- Salt, pepper and garlic powder, to taste (about 1/2 tsp each)
- 1 tbsp white vinegar
- Heat oil in non-stick pan.
- Add garlic and cook for about 40 seconds.
- Add veggies and stir for about 10 minutes or until cooked.
- Pour into crockpot.
- Add spices, broth, beans and vinegar.
- Set on low for 4-5 hours or high for 3-4 hours.
- Remove leaves before serving.
You can find more great crockpot recipes in the best slow cooker cookbooks!
While you’re here, be sure to check out our kitchen product reviews!