The holidays are a great time to bring out your slow cooker and put it to good use. The slow cooker is a very convenient appliance that can make your life a lot easier for the holidays. There are tons of different holiday recipes that can be made in a slow cooker. Whether you are hosting a tasty holiday meal or you are just bringing a dish to someone else’s house, here are several reasons to use your slow cooker.
- Using your slow cooker will save you stove top and oven space. This will allow you more space to cook other foods that have to be cooked in the oven or on the stove-top. During a holiday meal or party there can be lots of different foods that need to be cooked and the one in the slow cooker can get out of your way. A slow cooker can be put on a countertop away from the stove and out of your way.
- While entertaining for the holidays at your house, a slow cooker can be used to keep certain beverages hot. Keep hot beverages simmering on low in your slow-cooker throughout your party. Such beverages as hot chocolate and hot apple cider are a good choice to keep in a slow cooker.
- If you need to tote your food to another location, use your slow cooker to do so. The hostess will probably thank you that the food doesn’t have to be re-heated once you get to the party. To tote foods after the food is completely cooked, wrap the slow cooker in heavy foil or several layers of newspaper. Place the slow cooker in an insulated container. The food should stay hot for approximately 2 hours. Once you are at the party, just plug the slow cooker into an outlet and keep the food warm on the low setting.
- A slow cooker allows you to do some of your prep work the night before. Cut up or chop all the vegetables and the meat for the recipe (we also like using an electric spiralizer). Combine the seasonings and the liquids. Place your vegetables, meats, and seasonings in separate covered containers and refrigerate them. The next day, you can just place all the ingredients for the recipe in the specified order into the slow cooker and cook as directed.
- A slow cooker allows you to have time to get ready and relax before a party. Since a slow cooker doesn’t need to be watched or the food stirred very often if at all, you are able to prepare other things for the holiday party while the food is cooking on it’s own. This frees up some of your time and can make you less stressed out.
Here is an easy slow cooker recipe that you can make for the holidays:
Slow-Cooker Holiday Potatoes
- 1 1/2 pounds Yukon golf potatoes
- 1 1/2 pounds sweet potatoes
- 8 ounces of shredded American cheese
- 10 ounce can of cream of celery soup
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 8 ounce container of sour cream
- 1 large onion, sliced (Here are some great onion choppers for you!)
- Thinly slice the Yukon gold potatoes, but do not peel them. Peel and cut the sweet potatoes into 1/4 inch slices.
- In a medium bowl, combine cheese, celery soup, sour cream and chicken broth. Place a layer of half of the potatoes and half of the onion in the slow cooker. Spread half the soup mixture over the potatoes. Repeat the layers.
- Cover the slow cooker and cook on low setting for 6-8 hours or on high for 3-4 hours.
Find more similar crock pot recipes in our recommended picks for the best slow cooker cookbooks!
While you’re here, be sure to check out our kitchen product reviews!