We may earn commission from the links in this post
This simple recipe is great by itself, topped with a heaping scoop of French Vanilla ice cream made with a homemade ice cream maker, or with an easy cream cheese icing. Even if your culinary skills are limited, you can manage this one with ease.
Recommended reading: Best Apple Peelers
Things You’ll Need:
- 3 cups self-rising flour
- 3 large eggs
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cups vegetable oil
- 3 cups of diced apples (you can also cutup with an electric spiralizer)
- 1 cup grated coconut
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine flour, sugar, eggs or eggs substitute, oil, and vanilla extract and beat until the mixture is thoroughly blended.
- Slowly add in diced apples, making sure they are completely coated with the cake batter
- Cut in the coconut, also making sure it is distributed evenly among the cake batter and apples.
- Toss in the chopped walnuts, and try to distribute them as evenly through the mixture as possible.
- Turn the batter into a greased and floured bunt pan, and place in the oven. Bake at 350 degrees for roughly an hour and fifteen minutes. Cake is done when the outside is golden brown and you insert a toothpick and it comes out clean.
Tips and Warnings.
You may need to adjust the baking time, based on your elevation and the type of oven you have. Check the cake around the fifty minute mark and see what you think.
This cake can be left plain, or you can make a simple cream cheese or vanilla icing to drizzle down the sides. A quick way to do this is buy a container of ready-made frosting and heat it in the microwave oven for a few seconds, just enough to thin the icing so it will pour onto the cake with relative ease.
If you don’t like coconut, try substituting with raisins, or add more apples along with some cinnamon for a slightly different taste. Pecans also work well if you are not fond of walnuts.
While you’re here, be sure to check out our kitchen product reviews!