We’ve all heard the tales of the gardeners who had too so much zucchini, they didn’t know what to do with it all. When heating the whole house with a hot oven to make all that zucchini bread isn’t an option, try firing up the grill outside. Zucchini, mixed with yellow squash, garden tomatoes, fresh savory and oregano and a little butter and white wine inside a foil pocket is all you need for fix-it and forget-about-it cooking. You can grill these with the entrée, or cook at the start and let cool for a cooked vegetable salad.
Make these fun. Try different vegetable combinations and opt for different herb selections. For vegetables, adding julienne carrots will give color and make them approachable for the kids. For the herbs savory and oregano are suggested, but thyme and rosemary can give a different flavor profile. Both are strong flavored so small sprigs may be all that you’ll need.
Recommended reading: Best Wine Fridges
White Wine Summer Squash Grill Pockets
- Zucchini squash, fresh, cut into 1/2 inch strips
- Yellow squash, fresh, cut into 1/2 inch strips
- Tomatoes, whole cherry or tomatoes cut into quarters to eighths, depending on size
- Butter, cut into teaspoon pats
- Sprigs of fresh savory and oregano
- White wine
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Heavy duty foil
- Outside grill, gas or charcoal
- Long tongs
Take sheets of foil off the roll, about 12 inches in length, and double sheet (placing two sheets in a stack one on top of the other). The double lining will give added strength when turning and will help protect the contents from the hot coals. By folding, you should get individual pockets about 6 inches by 4 inches.
In the middle of each double-foil sheet, place selected strips of zucchini and yellow squash in a mound. Add tomatoes and a drizzle of white wine. Place a pat of butter on the top and evenly distribute the vegetables in the center. Lay a small sprig of savory or oregano (or both if desired) over the top. Sprinkle as needed to taste with salt and pepper. Fold over the top and secure the sides well by folding. Place over the grill of a medium to hot grill, and allow to cook for about 15 minutes, turning over about half way. With tongs, carefully remove, and open away from your face. Serve immediately hot or let cool.
- Use heavy duty foil for the pockets.
- Resist keeping them open or cutting into them to watch the vegetables cook. The liquid from the squash and tomatoes will steam them on the inside.
- The recipe doesn’t have specific amounts as you can fill the packets with desired vegetables.
- If you’re having a party, this makes a great pre-dinner activity letting the guests make their own pockets.
While you’re here, be sure to check out our kitchen product reviews!
Average rating / 5. Vote count: