We may earn commission from the links in this post
Delicious cinnamon and delicious brown sugar infused baked apples are a quick and easy Fall dessert. These tasty treats are the perfect individual serving size and are great as an after school snack, or a light apple dessert. Here’s a basic recipe that can be varied to suit each apple lovers taste.
Recommended Reading: Get started with baking by reading our Ultimate Guide to the Best Baking Equipment for Beginners!
- 6 apples
- 3 teaspoons butter
- 3 teaspoons cinnamon
- 6 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1 cup apple juice
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Wash apples thoroughly, and dry completely with a clean towel.
- Carve out the core of each apple, but do not cut into it so far that it punctures a hole at the bottom of the apple.
- Spoon half a teaspoon of butter into each apple.
- Spoon a teaspoon of brown sugar into each apple.
- Sprinkle the top of each apple with half a teaspoon of cinnamon.
- Place the apples into a baking pan.
- Pour one cup of apple juice over the tops of the apples.
- Cover the pan with aluminum foil.
- Bake the apples for one hour, until softened.
It’s important to make sure not to cut into the apple too deeply when coring it. If a hole is punctured in the bottom of the apple, the filling inside the apple will drain out. This will leave the apple drier than the ones that don’t have holes in the bottom.
When apples are done cooking, let them cool for a few minutes before serving. Use tongs to remove the apples to individual serving plates or bowls. Using a spoon or fork to remove the apples is not recommended, as the apples will be so soft they may be hard to handle.
Slice the apple in half before serving for easier eating and spoon some of the hot apple juice from the pan over each apple. Top these baked apples with whipped cream and sprinkle with cinnamon or chopped pecans.
To spice up baked apples, sprinkle a tiny pinch of nutmeg or pumpkin pie spice over the tops of the apples before baking. Another good variation is to add a teaspoon of chopped pecans or walnuts inside the core of each apple.
For a low fat option, simply omit the butter from this recipe. Tasty baked apples are lower in fat than pies, cobblers and crisps since most of the fat in those desserts comes from the crust.
Enjoy this dessert, guilt free or make it decadent with whipped cream and nut topping. Either way they’re served, baked apples are a delicious homemade treat.
While you’re here, be sure to check out our kitchen product reviews!
User Review( votes)