We may earn commision from the links in this post
Everybody desires a healthy balanced diet but many are unaware of the constituents. A healthy diet must consist of the appropriate amount of vegetables, fruits, grains, proteins and low-fat dairy products. And the selection of grains and pulses is one very vital aspect. One such pulse is garbanzo beans a.k.a chickpeas which must be added to the diet plan because of their high nutritious value.
Garbanzo beans are legumes which are high in protein. It is also a key ingredient in various cuisines like hummus which is made up from mashed chickpeas blended with olive oil, very popular in the Middle East or chana masala, a popular dish in Asian subcontinent such as India. There are two varieties of garbanzo beans. One is cream colored Kabuli type and the other is green colored desi type. Enlisted below are some of best garbanzo beans or best-canned chickpea available to cater to the individual needs
Canned Garbanzo Beans Review Center 2019
|Image||Canned Garbanzo Beans||Rating|
|#1 - Palouse Brand Garbanzo Beans aka Chickpeas or Ceci Beans||99%|
|#2 - Food to Live Organic Garbanzo Beans||94%|
|#3 - Bush's Best Garbanzo Beans||88%|
|#4 - Bob's Red Mill Beans Garbanzo||79%|
|#5 - Westbrae Natural, Vegetarian Organic Garbanzo Beans||75%|
Want to learn more?
Now that you’ve seen our top 5 recommendations, we’ll give you more detail on each of them, including why we liked them. When you’re ready, click the yellow button to get the best price on Amazon!
#1 – Palouse Brand Garbanzo Beans aka Chickpeas or Ceci Beans
This brand of canned chick peas is indigenous to the Washington state. The product is farm-grown and is owned by a family which had five generations into agriculture. So no doubt they have the expertise in their operations. And it is even reflected in the product. The product comes in a jute bag which has an aesthetic effect. The canned garbanzo beans are non- irradiated as well. This means that the beans will sprout in due course of time. Irradiation is a widely accepted practice that exposes the beans to radiation which sterilizes them. But Palouse brand is very focused on providing with best quality chickpeas and thus the beans taste better. These garbanzo beans canned are very powerful in soaking water. They become double the size when cooked. The dried beans also don’t need overnight soaking. They can be directly put to boiling water. And it will take an hour to be cooking ready. Cooking garbanzo beans can be time taking, so it is recommended to cook large quantity at once. They can be stored in the freezer.
The Palouse garbanzo beans can be used to make varieties of recipes. Some of the recipes which go well with this chick pea can are vegan Italian soup, oven roasted garbanzo beans and lemon hummus. In addition to the continental recipes, Palouse garbanzo beans also serve the taste buds of the Asian subcontinent. The beans can be crushed in the home as well to make falafel to make tasty snacks. Roasted chickpeas also add to the list of recipes. The canned garbanzo beans are fresh from the farms and the Palouse brand follows prescribed forms of agricultural practices in growing them and packing them for dispatch. The Washington State grown seeds serve the taste and are processed by practices which are certified by Food Authorities of the U.S. The finished product not only adds nutrition to a healthy diet but also a savoring taste that will keep you astounded and makes you crave for more.
What we like about it:
The first and foremost feature for which we would recommend Palouse Brand chickpeas is the product itself. The product has creamy colored texture and round in size which doubles up after soaking. A farmer knows what the farms and when a family is into the business for five generations, it surely calls for a trust in the product. The chickpea brand follows the process of non-irradiation and hence the chickpeas are not sterilized. Thus, one will be able to savor the real taste of the garbanzo beans. One of the most prominent features is the farm tracing technology. Each jute bag comes with a QR code which can be scanned to trace the field on which the batch was grown and the harvest date.
#2 – Food to Live Organic Garbanzo Beans
Caring for a balanced diet? A diet with low fat and completely organic product on the shelf is provided by Food to live. Food to live is completely dedicated to providing healthy, natural and organic food to people, thereby making it best chickpeas to buy. And this mission enabled them to come up with their delicious and nutritious canned garbanzo beans. Organic chick peas have a rich nutty flavor and they are 100% free of any toxins. They are considered the best chickpeas to buy.
Unlike other farms, they don’t use accepted pesticides to grow these beans on the farm. Rather they believe that food should be devoid of any chemicals. The chick peas can are cultured with organic manure and naturally occurring fertilizers which make them chemical free yet tasty and nutritious. The Food to live garbanzo beans is easy to cook, have a longer shelf life, easy to keep and eatable in any diet. The product is low in fat but high in protein and dietary fiber which is very crucial for a healthy diet. One cup of cooked organic pastene ch contains 14.5 gram of protein. Moreover, the organic canned garbanzo beans by Food to live contain several antioxidants which help in boosting a general well-being.
The canned chick peas are organic and also gluten-free which is common in all legumes. But the wheat flour contains wheat protein which is the gluten. Factually, garbanzo flour is a great substitute for wheat flour. The starch present in the chickpea flour is enough for baking purpose and is definitely more nutritious. Eventually, different cuisines taste better with garbanzo beans canned aesthetically. The chickpeas in can deliver high nutrition cooked, boiled or roasted. The chick peas can be added to salads, soups, and stews. However, garbanzo beans snack is best roasted with spices.
What we like about it:
The canned chick peas are organic. Yes, indeed it is one of the most valued unique selling propositions. It is a pretty healthy product and all the fitness freaks must try it out due to the high protein content. The organic beans also have rich iron content. The nutrients list also consists of essential vitamins and minerals which are essential to a perfect immune system of general well-being. The organic beans are a great choice if you have a pet dog at home. Legumes are not necessarily safe for dogs. But these organic beans are definitely safe as they are easier to digest. A small quantity of mashed organic chickpeas with food would serve the purpose. The package by Food to live scientifically designs. It is easy to keep as the beans are packaged in a zipper packet. Just tear the packet, use it, zip it and then keep it.
#3 – Bush’s Best Garbanzo Beans
Bush’s best is one of the best chickpeas brands American manufacturing company and they indeed know how to play their cards. They have expertise in beans manufacturing. And there is a wide range of products in beans category starting from baked beans to honey-dipped fried beans. But we will be talking about canned garbanzo beans here. And most importantly, Bush’s best has come up with the ready-serve product. Just take out the beans, cook them and eat. No need to rinse them. The cooked garbanzo beans have a nutty flavor and each can comes with a family favorite recipe at the rear of the can. The tin can keeps the freshness intact and makes the chickpeas easy to keep. In addition to these, the chickpeas can also be savored in salad, stew, canned hummus or fry them as falafel.
The chick pea can packaging is also very attractive with a bright blue background reflecting creamy colored round sized chickpeas. The packaging itself imparts a mouth-watering experience. Apart from Middle East cuisines, the chickpeas also serve European cuisines such as the Greek wrap. The product is available for shipping only in America. Though it is not ready for international shipping in the coming years, Bush’s best-canned garbanzo beans will be available at every corner of the world to serve the taste buds of millions. The product has high protein content and it is naturally gluten-free. This means that the flour derived from these canned beans will be a good alternative over other grain flours. The low-fat content also makes it a suitable supplement for a healthy diet for individuals.
What we like about it:
The can chickpeas are made up to solid tin and the can is reusable for other purposes as well when it gets emptied. No cholesterol at all is what distinguishes it from other products. The no unsaturated fat policy has made this product a healthy choice for every individual thus reducing the risk of fat accumulation in a blood vessel. And it facilitates proper functioning. 6 gram of protein and 5 gram of dietary fiber helps in easier digestion. Easy digestion and rich taste make Bush’s best-canned hummus a ‘must add to kitchen cart’ product.
#4 – Bob’s Red Mill Beans Garbanzo
Bob’s Red Mill is one of a kind of chickpea brands add a ‘meaty’ texture to the dishes. Their texture is firm and the flavor is mild and nutty. The chickpeas are cultivated by modern agriculture equipment. Red mills began with the vision of operating a flour mill that made healthy and nutritious foods available to each and every individual. For the sake of retaining the quality of whole grain flour, they still stick to stone grinding mills. The stone grinders operate at lower speed and cool temperature. Hence, the nutrients of the grains are preserved. The product is wrapped with a modernized packaging of a transparent type. The beans can be seen and felt without even opening the pack. The garbanzo beans have a rich meaty texture, unlike the cream color. This indicates the millstone grinding of these chickpeas. Moreover, the nutrient level is high. And it contains no cholesterol as well.
The canned chickpeas are purely vegetarian and have high fiber content. The dietary fiber constitutes to around 35%. And the fat content is around 3% only. There is no Trans-fat as the beans are manufactured in ancient mill stones grinding procedure. Bob’s red mill beans have 15% iron content which provides the rich ‘meaty’ texture and imparts 180 calories per serving. The packet also consists of the recipe for basic cooking and Hummus. The beans need to soak overnight but before that sorting is utmost necessary. As it is not possible to remove the foreign particles, the beans must be sorted and then rinsed.
What we like about it:
The rich ‘meaty’ texture shows that the product has high iron content which is vital for a healthy diet. It enhances the blood flow. Adding this canned garbanzo beans to diet plan helps in maintaining a fit body. Garbanzo beans are naturally gluten-free and therefore the flour is devoid of wheat protein which makes the flour chewy and elastic. So the process through which it is made Bob’s red mill chickpeas are free from the gluten particles which can be used to make falafels. The chickpeas canned of this brand do not contain sodium. The sodium content is 0%. This makes the product a viable diet for individuals thereby helps everyone to keep their blood pressure at a functional rate.
#5 – Westbrae Natural, Vegetarian Organic Garbanzo Beans
The last but not the least is yet another sodium free canned garbanzo beans. The vision of Westbrae Natural is to offer delicious foods and support the growth of foods industry and organic farming. WestBrae Natural has offered a full variety of products to support nutritional diet plans for vegetarians. And also serve the diet plan of non-vegetarians looking out for a change. The product caters to the needs of a vegan and healthy balanced diet as well. The garbanzo beans are freshly manufactured and canned right after they are harvested from the field. This preserves the quality and flavor.
The ready to serve vegetables are packaged into recyclable cans. The cans have great contrasting colors and attractive packaging stating organic beans which is high in dietary fiber and low sodium. The canned product doesn’t contain any added flavors, color or preservatives. The ready-to-eat can contains high-quality garbanzo beans packed with water and sea salt. Westbrae Natural’s canned garbanzo beans can be eaten reading or served with salad. Otherwise, it can be heated as well as served. The recipe of Mediterranean Garbanzo stir-fry is printed on the rear of the can. Anyone who wishes to taste good chickpeas can opt for these canned garbanzo beans. The tin cans make the beans easy to store, microwave operational and less time-consuming. The beans are organic, no GMOs and simple to use.
Why we like about it:
The most distinguishing feature is that it is simple to use. The ready to eat chick peas in a can saves a lot of time and simultaneously provide a nutritious healthy diet to individuals too busy with their daily routine. The different taste and various purposes the can of chick peas serve is another thumbs-up from us. One can eat the chickpeas readily as it comes directly packed with water and sea salt. Or one can throw away the water and cook it in a versatile way.
How we choose the top canned garbanzo beans in our list
Selecting the top 5 canned garbanzo beans required a great deal of extensive literature survey. The exploratory research was done to find out what are the available products on the market. We browsed popular online shopping sites and any accompanying websites to get a good knowledge of the products. We made a list of a can of chickpeas and checked with other websites for cross-reference. The brands which appeared on two or more sites were taken into consideration.
The aesthetics, technical processes, and business reputation were taken into account for enlistment:
- Aesthetics: The packaging, vision of the provider and nutrient constituents were inspected. As the chickpeas are considered for a healthy diet, the nutritional value should be concomitant with the diet plan as prescribed by a nutritionist. Each serving should provide with nutrients and calories within the limit. The vision of the manufacturer defines the goal in which a product is made. If the vision is not clear, the product will not find its way. But if the goals are clear, the business will strive to provide the best. The packaging should be attractive, easy to handle and also be informative.
- Technical Processes: It determines the process through which the canned garbanzo beans are manufactured. It is very necessary that the practices adopted are certified and the process does not screen out essential nutrients during operation from the chickpeas.
- Business reputation: Other products of the same firm was taken into consideration and checked how they perform in the market.
After checking these aspects, we had gone through the customer reviews and feedbacks for different products and thereby we came up with the comprehensive review of best-canned garbanzo beans mentioned above.
Different types of canned garbanzo beans
Based on the extensive research, the canned garbanzo beans can be classified into the following categories:
Types of Garbanzo Beans and other products:
- Black chickpeas (Bengal gram) – These Indian chickpeas are dried in sun. Then they turn in the deep rust color. They have a deep aroma and nutty taste. Black chickpeas cans are found in specialty food shops. Please do not get these confused with black beans! Very different.
- Chickpea shoots: Shoots are mainly used in salads. They can also be found in the local market or at a farmer’s place where they store or retail after they harvest.
- Chickpea flour: Chickpea flour is obtained by grinding the round raw chick peas. This can be used in Indian cuisines as well as Italian cuisines. It is used to make pasta or pancakes. Make sure you grind them down with a food mill, grain mill, or industrial blender.
- Green chickpeas: Green chickpeas are young and tender. They are found at the local They taste exactly like green peas but more nutritious.
Types of packaging:
- Jute bags – Canned garbanzo beans are stored in many ways. Basically a farm harvested chickpeas batch follows jute bag packaging. It keeps the chickpeas fresh for some time but to keep the chick peas for a longer period of time, a better container should opt.
- Tin can – For small quantities of chickpeas, tin can packaging is generally preferred. The packaging is aesthetic, easy to handle and simple to store. They are air-tight and thus prevent the garbanzo beans from spoiling. Open with your can opener!
- Plastic pouches – Plastic pouches are yet another packaging with derived aesthetics and simplicity to store. This is similar to vacuum sealed bags.
Our Favorite Garbanzo Bean Recipes!
- 3 Types Baked Beans Recipe
- The Tastiest Hummus Recipe Around
- Gluten-Free Baking: Healthy and Delicious: Discover the Many Gluten-Free Flours and their Unique Properties
Why you need the Best Canned Garbanzo beans in your Kitchen
- It is loaded with nutrition. The legume is power-packed with proteins and has a punch of fiber. Chickpea renders several nutritional and health benefits. What makes chickpea more interesting is that you can add it to so many different cuisines.
- The presence of phytoestrogens in chickpeas modulates the body’s own production of the hormone in women. This lowers the risk of breast cancer and minimizes hot flashes in post-menopausal women.
- Carbohydrates in legumes are digested slowly, reducing blood sugar spikes that can contribute to insulin resistance and diabetes. The legume provides steady, slow-burning energy to prevent a blood sugar spike. Hence, individuals who eat canned garbanzo beans are less likely to develop diabetes.
- Owing to their high iron content, chickpeas can boost energy. It is particularly important for pregnant or lactating women, menstruating women and children. Iron is an important component of hemoglobin and has a key role in enzyme systems for energy production and metabolism. As it helps in fulfilling one’s body’s requirement of iron, it prevents anemia.
- Eating one serving a day of chickpeas increases fullness, which may lead to better weight management. This helps in diet control and increase the nutrient absorption in the body.
- Canned garbanzo beans also aid in better digestion. The fiber in legumes reduces strain on your intestine, cuts the risk of painful disease and constipation. It enhances bowel movement and cleans off the walls of the intestines.
Pastene chickpeas have multiple advantages over other grains and it also helps in maintaining a proper and healthy diet. After all healthy eating is healthy living.
Before we forget, be sure to check out Amazon Prime Pantry for convenient online grocery shopping!