Oil less turkey fryers are a great, healthy, alternative way to cook a turkey. They take the best parts of a traditional turkey fryer and an oven and combine them to become something all their own. Like a traditional one, oil-less turkey fryers are portable and allow you to cook your bird without monopolizing the oven.
That said, like an oven, they allow you to cook a great meal without having to deep fry. Because they don’t use gallons of boiling hot oil, they’re safer and better for you than traditional fryers. Plus, oilless fryers don’t dry your turkey out with hot air like an oven, meaning they will produce a juicier, better tasting turkey.
Very simply, a greaseless turkey fryer is an alternative way to produce a turkey that is healthy, moist, and delicious. It’s not fried in gallons or oil, which makes these much healthier cooking options. And it’s not cooked by hot air like in a traditional oven, which produces a much more tender, juicier bird.
A greaseless fryer loosely resembles a standard fryer – it resembles a large pot that’s tall and wide enough to fit a whole turkey. The meat is lowered into the fryer in some kind of basket. While in a traditional fryer, the turkey is lowered into boiling hot oil, when using a greaseless fryer the meat is lowered right into an empty chamber.
Every oil-less turkey fryer will have a heat source, although it varies from model to model. Some will use propane gas while some use electricity. The fryer is turned on and, after it heats up, roasts the bird. Because of the way the heat is circulated, turkey cooked in a oil less fryer tends to be juicier and more flavorful than an oven baked turkey.
An oil less turkey fryer seals the outside of the meat to keep the juice in. The small amount of drippings that do come out of the bird collect in the bottom of the fryer and can always be used to make a delicious gravy to serve with the delectable turkey.[toc]
Greaseless Turkey Fryer Review Center 2020:
|Best Overall||Best Gluten Free||Best Value|
|Product Name:||Zojirushi BB-CEC20||Breville BBM800XL||Oster 2-Pound Express Bake|
|Max Loaf Size||2 Pound||2.5 Pound||2 Pound|
|Delay Timer||13 Hours||13 Hours||13 Hours|
|Machine Size||17" x 8.5" x 12.25"||16.4" x 9.6" x 13.3"||13" x 13.8" x 14.1"|
|Price||Check Price||Check Price||Check Price|
|Learn More||Learn More||Learn More||Learn More|
Want to learn more?
Now that you’ve seen our top 5 recommendations, we’ll give you more detail on each of them, including why we liked them. When you’re ready, click the yellow button to get the best price on Amazon!
#1 – Avalon Bay Oil Less AB-Airfryer100R
- Fan technology: The Airfryer100R’s fan technology takes the fat and oil from the food and allows it to drip through the basket. This oil collects and is then lifted by the fans to coat the food while it’s cooking.
- Automatic shut-off: With this great safety feature, you can get your food going, set the timer, and when time’s off, it alerts you and then turns itself off.
- Free recipe book: Learn how to cook more than meat with your Avalon Bay AB-Airfryer100R. This recipe book will give you ideas for appetizers, side dishes, and even desserts.
The Airfryer100R makes crispy, juicy, delicious food for less mess, less waste, and fewer calories. It even has some dishwasher safe parts so even clean up is easy.
The AirFryer100R is a little different from the options we’ve seen on this list so far. While other greaseless fryers use various kinds of radiant heat, the AB-Airfryer100R uses a fan to lift the oils and fats that are dripping from the meat itself to coat the meat for a crunchier texture. You can add a little bit of oil to the pan if you’d like. Even with a small amount of added oil, this is still a healthier option than deep frying.Check Latest Price Read Our Full Review
#2 – Simple Chef Oil-Less Air Fryer
- Rapid Air Circulation: Make a variety of dishes without added oil or fat by cooking it with hot air, making healthier meals faster and easier.
- Make much more than turkey: Although it can certainly air fry a delicious turkey, the Simple Chef Air Fryer can also make chicken, potatoes, steak, spring rolls, and even cakes.
- Satisfaction guarantee: With a thirty-minute timer, dishwasher safe basket, overheat protection, and some of the best food you’ll ever taste, the Simple Chef comes with a satisfaction guarantee.
The Simple Chef cooks with hot air and makes delicious food that’s fast and healthy. In fact, air fried french fries from Simple Chef have up to 70% less fat than deep fried french fries! This is a versatile, must-have appliance that can air fry a turkey that you’ll continue finding uses for all year round.
Like the previous fryer, you can use a little oil in the Simple Chef if you want to, but it can cook just fine with no oil at all. This is yet another way to get healthy, moist meat and crunchy french fries with less mess and fewer calories.
If this is the model for you, click below to get the best price on Amazon.com!Check Latest Price Read Our Full Review
#3 – Char-Broil The Big Easy TRU-Infrared Smoker Roaster & Grill
- Infrared Cooking: A specially designed propane burner is enclosed between the inner and outer walls to radiate infrared heat, which penetrates the meat and roasts it directly. The hot air that’s generated goes out the top of the fryer and doesn’t dry out the food.
- Also functions as a smoker and a grill: Use wood chips or pellets in the internal smoker or take advantage of the 180 square inch cooking area to grill. This is the best when it comes to versatility.
- Extras included: In addition to the grease collection tray, stay cool handles, and variable temperature control, the Char-Broil The Big Easy TRU-Infrared Smoker Roaster & Grill also includes a meat thermometer and a double stacked rotating basket.
Unlike traditional cooking methods, the Char-Broil The Big Easy TRU-Infrared Smoker Roaster & Grill uses infrared heat, which cooks the meat evenly and without drying. The burner is enclosed between the inner and outer walls of the unit. As the heat goes from the burner through the inner wall, it penetrates the surface of the meat to cook it while locking in its natural juices.
As its name implies, this is a great turkey fryer if you’re looking for something that’s multipurpose. In addition to being able to add extra flavor by smoking the meat while it cooks, this unit can also be used as a grill. It’s always best to get more bang for your buck, and with the Char-Broil The Big Easy TRU-Infrared Smoker Roaster & Grill, you’ll be able to use it to cook your holiday turkey in the fall and grill hamburgers and hotdogs on it for your summer barbecue.Check Latest Price Read Our Full Review
#4 – Masterbuilt 20100809 Butterball Fryer and Roaster
- Completely electric: No need to buy any propane! The Masterbuilt 20100809 Butterball Oil-Free Electric Turkey Fryer and Roaster runs completely on electricity.
- Radiant heat: The heating element is enclosed within the double wall construction that uses radiant heat to cook the turkey, sealing the outside and keeping the moisture.
- Tempered glass lid: Keep an eye on your food cooking without opening the lid and letting the heat escape.
- Wood chip box: Get a great smokehouse flavor with the internal wood chip smoker.
The Masterbuilt 20100809 Butterball Oil-Free Electric Turkey Fryer and Roaster has a thermostat temperature control that allows you to cook a versatile amount of foods. It has a removable drip pan for easy cleanup and a roasting basket that holds up to 18 pounds. Plus, the see-through tempered glass lid is ideal for checking on your food without having to open the fryer and lose all the heat.
When looking for an oil-less turkey fryer, electric is a great way to go if you want something you can just plug in and use. No need to worry about propane with this one which will save you a little bit of money in the long run and is a bit more convenient.Check Latest Price Read Our Full Review
#5 – Char-Broil The Big Easy TRU-Infrared Fryer
- Infrared technology: Infrared technology means there are no hot or cold spots and the meat gets done evenly, all the way through, leaving the meat juicier than more traditional cooking methods.
- Versatility to do more: The Char-Broil The Big Easy TRU-Infrared Oil-Less Turkey Fryer can do a lot more than cook turkey – it’s also a great, healthy way to cook chicken, pork, and works for both bone-in and boneless meats.
- Easy to use: There are only two knobs – one to turn it on and one to light it. That’s it.
This is the simple version of the Big Easy Smoker and Roaster. Cook turkey or any other kind of meat stress-free with this Char-Broil Infrared Turkey Fryer. Infrared heat comes from a propane powered heat source radiating heat through the interior wall of the fryer, cooking the meat directly. Because the meat is not being cooked with hot air, it maintains its moisture.
The Char-Broil The Big Easy has a few optional accessories that make it exceptionally versatile. This is a great one to buy if you want to use your fryer for a lot of different kinds of food. You can get a bunk bed basket so you can cook two things at a time, a stackable oven to cook three things at once, and a full 22 piece accessory kit so you can cook just about anything.Check Latest Price Read Our Full Review
Different types of turkey air fryers:
The major difference between types of oil less fryers is how the heat is generated and circulated. When looking for the best greaseless turkey fryer for you, keep this information in mind.
- Infrared: Infrared fryers typically use propane as fuel to heat a special burner that lies between an inner and outer wall of the fryer. The burner itself doesn’t cook the turkey directly; rather, the heat radiates from the burner through the inner wall and cooks the meat directly. For this type, you will still need to buy propane in order to use it.
- Electric/radiant heat: No need for propane with an electric fryer! All you have to do is plug it in and the radiant heat penetrates the inner wall to cook the turkey. Although they do just plug into the wall, it’s still recommended that that most electric fryers be used outdoors.
- Air Fryers: Air fryers heat up the meat and then circulate the fat and oil that drips from the meat itself while it’s cooking. You can also add a little bit of oil, too. Instead of immersing the bird in hot oil as a standard fryer would, an air fryer circulates natural oils around the food as it’s cooking to give the outside a slight crunch. Some fryers can be used right on the kitchen counter, but check the user’s manual to get the specifics.
Important features to look for:
- Versatility: If you want to get the most out of your fryer, look for one that allows you to cook a wider range of things. Most will roast any large piece of meat well, but some offer accessories like baskets and special inserts that will let you cook a variety of recipes. As we’ve seen, some can also grill and smoke meat. You can get a lot of use out of a turkey fryer with the right features.
- Safety: It’s a good idea to get a greaseless fryer with an automatic shut off to lower the risk of burning your meal or just forgetting to turn it off. Also, make sure to check the specifications for your model concerning indoor use. Some fryers can be set up right on the kitchen counter while others absolutely must be used outside in a well-ventilated
- See through lid: A great feature to have is a see through lid. This will let you check on its progress without having to open the lid and letting all the heat escape.
- Capacity: Make sure that the fryer you choose is big enough to hold the food you want to cook. If you typically make a 18 lb bird for the holidays, make sure you get a fryer that can handle it. And it’s okay to think beyond turkeys. Maybe you want to cook two chickens or a rack of ribs. Make sure you choose a fryer that can hold whatever it is you want to cook.
- Type of Cooking: Do you want an infrared, air, or electric/radiate greaseless fryer? As we learned above, there are differences between each kind. While they all end up cooking a juicy, delicious turkey, the cooking process varies for each kind.
- Source of Heat: Do you prefer using propane or is an electric model more what you’re looking for? Consider what works best for your yard or patio and how you’re planning to use your fryer. Propane powered greaseless flyers have to be used outdoors while some electric models can be used inside. Check the manufacturer’s instructions to know for sure if it can be used inside.
- Use: Decide how you’re going to use your deep fryer. Do you just want to use it as an alternate way of cooking holiday dinner, or are you going to use it year round to prepare a variety of things? Look into what options and special features are available. Some also the ability to grill and internally smoke meat. Others have a wide range of accessories available that allow you to cook almost anything in your fryer.
Why is it a good idea to use one?
Finding healthier ways to cook delicious food is always important! An oil less fryer provides an alternative to standard oven cooking and deep frying. You get delicious, great tasting results without all the downsides of eating something that’s been deep fried. These fryers come in especially handy on the holidays, freeing up the oven to cook the rest of the meal.
In contrast to standard deep fryers, an oil less fryer does not cook the turkey by submerging it in hot oil. This makes it a much healthier option. But another advantage they have over traditional deep fryers is that you can use rubs and injectable marinades so the turkey will taste even more delicious. You can’t use rubs or injectable marinades in a deep fryer.
Another important thing about greaseless fryers is there’s no scalding hot oil, so it’s much safer to use. They will also save money. Deep frying requires a lot of oil. If you’re going to use a traditional turkey fryer, you’ll need gallons of oil to cover the turkey completely. This makes clean up hard plus costs you more every time you refill the fryer.
Are they safe?
In a word – yes! As long as they’re set up on the properly on a flat, dry surface, greaseless fryers are very safe to use. Just follow these safety tips:
- Use them outside in an open, well-ventilated space unless otherwise specified by the manufacturer.
- Make sure the legs are stable and that the fryer is not at risk of tipping over.
- Don’t leave the oil free turkey fryer unattended when small children or pets are around.
- Use caution with propane if your fryer uses it. If you have an electric fryer, make sure that the cord is not in an area with a lot of foot traffic.
- Always be cautious when removing the lid. Don’t stand directly above the fryer so as not to get scalded by any steam or heat escaping.
In fact, they are much safer than standard fryers because there’s no boiling hot oil involved. With the proper precautions, there shouldn’t be any safety issues.
Frequently asked questions:
Can you use in the cold?
Unless otherwise specified by the manufacturer, it’s fine to use outside in the cold weather.
Can you use indoors?
If your fryer uses propane for fuel, it must be used outside. For electric models, some can be used indoors. Always check the specifications from the manufacturer for the specific model that you own before using it indoors.
Does it really fry a turkey?
Technically, no. The only way you can fry something is to use oil to either deep fry or pan fry. What oil less turkey deep fryers do, though, is seal the outside of the meat so that it retains its moisture, making it a delicious and healthy alternative. Air frying at high temperatures can create a crunch that’s just as good as fried food while being significantly healthier for you.
Is cleanup easy?
There’s a moderate amount of cleanup necessary, but there are ways to lessen the load. First, cover the inside of the unit with non-stick cooking spray before you start cooking. Just like when using a roasting pan, the cooking spray will make it much easier to clean. Also, some fryers come with some dishwasher safe parts. A big bonus to using a oil-less turkey fryer is that there’s not hot oil to worry about, which is the hardest part about cleaning up a traditional fryer.