Haven’t you always wondered how you could make the fluffiest, softest cakes that they keep displaying on TV shows and other programs? Or how you could make lovely meringues or a smooth ganache? The answer lies in a simple kitchen utensil; a whisk.
A whisk is usually used to combine ingredients together or to incorporate air into a batter or a mixture. Most whisks are usually made of metal however there are plastic ones as well keeping non-stick cookware in mind. In older times, people would use apple branches or peach branches as makeshift whisks to impart a subtle flavour to cakes and other sweet dishes.
Given below is a comprehensive review of the best kitchen whisks in the business:
Whisk Review Center 2020
|#1 - OXO Good Grips 11-Inch Better Silicone Balloon Whisk||99%|
|#2 - Philonext Stainless Steel Kitchen Whisk||94%|
|#3 - OXO Good Grips 11-Inch Better Balloon Whisk||88%|
|#4 - Norpro Balloon Wire Whisk Set||82%|
|#5 - Ouddy Set of 3 Stainless Steel Whisk||78%|
Want to learn more?
Now that you’ve seen our top 5 recommendations, we’ll give you more detail on each of them, including why we liked them. When you’re ready, click the yellow button to get the best price on Amazon.
#1 – OXO Good Grips 11-Inch Better Silicone Balloon Whisk
This whisk is the best silicone whisk that you are going to find on the market. A great whisk for all purposes, efficient at both whipping cream or stirring a hot pot of sauce. With an easy to hold and a comfortable handle that is designed to not be slippery; this whisk is the way to go. It doesn’t matter whether the dish at hand is scrambled eggs or fluffy cakes; this whisk helps you create the most delectable dishes. The problem with most silicon whisks is that they’re soft and too flexible; so much so that the effectiveness of the whisking process is reduced. However this whisk is tough and does not give as much even when compared to wire whisks. This makes it a utilitarian addition to your kitchen.
The handle is one of the most comfortable ones when compared the plentiful whisks out there and it is easy to hold even through extended periods of strenuous whisking. The plentiful, strong and rigid wires make it a powerful tool. It is also dishwasher safe and thoughtfully constructed over all. It is narrow enough to scrape the corners of the bowl or plate to take away some of the batter or sauce stuck on the sides; however it is also wide enough to quickly aerate batter or cream, making this whisk worth every penny.
What we like about it:
The springy wires of the whisk lend a hand in making its whisking action a powerful one, in fact more powerful than some of the metal whisks out there. The bulbous, comfy and rubbery handle is constructed beautifully, enabling you to grip it even after long periods of vigorous whipping. It is a lightweight, versatile piece of kitchen equipment that is well worth the money you’ll pay for it considering how highly functional it is.
#2 – Philonext Stainless Steel Kitchen Whisk
Another great quality product, its affordability along with its functionality is one of the reasons why it is both one of the best whisks we have come across in our search and second on our list. Sturdily built, anti-rust and easy to clean; this slightly balloon shaped whisk is ideal for mixing sauces, whipping cream, mixtures of sugar and butter and cream with melted chocolate. The stainless steel wires and handle are easy to clean, making your after-cooking clean up a simpler one. On top of being rust free and easy to clean it is also dishwasher friendly. It is also easy to store, you could hang it on any hook present in your kitchen (a hole at the end of handle is present for this purpose) however its small size makes it easy to stash away in any small pantry or drawer in the kitchen as well.
The material is non-stick, making it perfect to mix together sticky caramels or sauces. A highly practical kitchen appliance, its whisking efficiency greatly simplifies your work in the kitchen. A multipurpose tool that is great at what it does. This kind of whisk is mostly ideal for making desserts and other sticky treats. The manufacturers guarantee high quality products and if you aren’t happy with what you receive the company is ready to refund your money back.
What we like about it:
This stainless steel whisk is very functional and can be used in a variety of ways in the kitchen. Whether it’s for mixing together sauces or whisking eggs for an omelette, combining sugar and butter for cakes, whipping cream or making ganache. This whisk comes in three different sizes for all your different kitchen needs. It is designed for excellent balance and a control that you can feel when you use it. Satisfaction guaranteed.
#3 – OXO Good Grips 11-Inch Better Balloon Whisk
One of the better non-stick whisks out there, the smooth stainless steel wires along with its narrow shape make it ideal for mixing ingredients in a small bowl or container. Its novel handle shape is both soft and expertly designed for optimum comfort and a grip that absorbs pressure. It is easy to clean and dishwasher safe as well. The small and compact size makes it storing it a breeze as well. Made to be a versatile utensil it can be used for a variety of uses whether you’re whipping up an omelette or whisking a vinaigrette. The handle is teardrop shaped for maximum comfort, principally for repeated motions. The non-slip grip makes it so that the whisk doesn’t slip from your grip even with sweaty hands. It is also constructed so as to not let any water creep inside the whisk itself through crevices in the handle when washing dishes.
The wires are sturdy and spaced out towards the ends; the sturdiness of the wires prevents them from bending and the spacing enables you to whisk better. All the more suited for incorporating air into baked goods. Creating fluffy egg whites for meringues, whipping cream, aerating sugar and butter mixtures for cakes or biscuits, sifting flour to make sure there aren’t any lumps in it etc. These are just some of the ways you can use it.
#4 – Norpro Balloon Wire Whisk Set
With a stainless steel and 7 wire construction this whisk is built for maximum functionality. This is ideal for aerating mixtures (whipping cream or egg whites) to make them fluffy. It is suited for dry ingredients as well, used to break up any clumps in the mixture and distribute them evenly throughout. This helps eliminate the need for sifting thereby simplifying the preparation process for bake goods. It comes in three different sizes to satisfy all your kitchen requirements. You could use the largest whisk to mix together batter, the middle one to beat eggs and the smallest one to make vinaigrettes. It is flexible enough however but the strong steel wires overlap to make less room for the sauces and other liquids to clot.
The handles of these whisks are truly created for professionals and are rigid; giving you a good grip on it even with repetitive vigorous whisking. These can be washed by hand or put in the dishwasher as well. These are rust proof, will not fade or even corrode. Keeping in mind the immense versatility and the functionality of these whisks, they come at a highly affordable price; making these whisks economical as well. This is the perfect whisk for a family. Families always have diverse needs when it comes to food. This whisk helps you fulfil all those needs.
What we like about it:
The economic value and versatility of this utensil is what really stands out about it. At this price, this whisk is definitely worth it. It comes in three different sizes to help you better with different kinds of dishes. This utensil is perfect for families. Families always need variety when it comes to food. You will have to cater to not only adult but children and babies as well. This whisk makes sure you are able to prepare any kind of dish for your loved ones.
#5 – Ouddy Set of 3 Stainless Steel Whisk
This set of professional whisks has been designed with the best quality durable stainless steel and has been polished to a good amount to bring the double protection of resistance to rust and other corrosive substances. Designed to bring to your hand the perfect balance and a sense of control that is unique to this particular utensil. On top of being resistant to rust, it is also non-stick and dishwasher friendly making it easy to clean as well. The compact size of the whisk makes it easy to store these whisks in your kitchen drawer or cupboards, whichever you prefer. If not both of those, the whisks come with a hook at the end of the handle that allows you to hang it up on a nail in the wall. The professional nature of this whisk, both in design and functionality, make it a must have for both house cooks and professional chefs alike.
The whish comes in three different sizes to better help you with different sorts of dishes. The large, medium and small wire whisks can be used to create a variety of delicious dishes. The company is so confident in the whisks that they create that they have guaranteed that if the customer is unhappy with their purchase then they are eligible for a replacement whisk or a full refund, whichever they prefer.
What we like about it:
This whisk utensil is an excellent addition to your kitchen. Easy to store in your kitchen cart, you can stash it away in a small kitchen drawer to hang up on your pot rack using the small hook it comes with at the end of its handle. Easy to simple and easy to clean as well. The quality of the stainless steel used prevents rust formation. Both sturdy and durable, it is worth every penny you spend on it.
How we choose the top product in our list:
When we first set out to make this list we already had in mind a game plan and how we would tackle this topic. First we made a list of the top ranked whisks on the most popular shopping sites. We then read through customer reviews and made another list based off of what the users had to say. A third list was created after we consulted a panel of experts and asked them what the qualities of a good whisk were.
The list given below covers all the important points:
- A good whisk should have wires that have different sized wires so that they don’t interfere with each other and hinder each other’s movement during the whisking process.
- The wires however need to be closely spaced enough so that it is strong enough to mash potatoes as well, strong enough so that you can whip up guacamole in no time at all. The wires have to be stiff as well for optimum whisking power.
- The handle must have adequate gripping powers such that the whisk doesn’t slip out of your hand even if it is a little slick with sweat, oil or any other slippery substance.
- Light enough so that your arm does not tire even after extended bouts of repetitive whisking.
With the qualities given below, we tested numerous whisks in all kinds of cooking scenarios. We cross referenced the information we gleaned from our experiments with the two lists created above to create this comprehensive review of the best kitchen whisks.
The different kinds of manual whisks:
- Balloon whisk: One of the more popular kinds of whisks. The “balloon” shape is created by a series of slightly flexible stainless steel or silicon wires which start at the end of the handle of the whisk and later join at the other end.
- French whisk: The other more popular whisk in the culinary world; this whisk too is made up of a bunch of wires that originate at one end, overlap and join together at the other end. This whisk is longer and narrower in shape however.
- Flat whisk: It has the same structure as both the balloon and the French whisk however it is flattened down, almost like a spatula.
- Spiral whisk: This peculiar looking whisk is made up of a rounded loop of wire around which another wire is coiled. The entire contraption is slightly angled so as to make complete contact with any substance in a pan or saucepan so as to ensure even mixing or mashing.
- Ball whisk: This whisk just consists of a series of wires that come out from the end of the handle and have a ball bearing at its ends. There are no coils in this whisk.
- Coil whisk: This whisk is characterized by the single wire that comes out from the handle and then coil until it makes a spiral. Unlike the rest of the whisks mentioned above this one has a single wire rather than many.
- Cage whisk: This rather unique looking whisk looks like a balloon whisk inside which wires have been coiled to resemble a cage, inside which lies a single ball bearing.
Why you need the best whisk in your kitchen:
A whisk is a multi-purpose kitchen utensil that greatly simplifies the cooking process as well as other chores in your kitchen. You could use it for:
- To break down brown sugar blocks back to crystals when they clump up because of humid air.
- Whisking eggs create the most fluffy omelettes
- You can create ice cream without using an ice cream machine. Just use the whisk to mix your ice cream base every 20 minutes until it finally sets.
- Great for creating homemade mayo with an even consistency
- If you don’t have a sifter for your cake and cookie flour mix, no worries; just use a whisk to mix all the dry ingredients and distribute them evenly throughout the mixture.
- The problem with an electric hand mixer or stand mixer is that you tend to over mix certain things like whipping cream or egg whites. With a manual whisk you can control the consistency more easily – and you don’t need to take out your Cuisinart Mixer or KitchenAid Mixer!
- The wires in a whisk are perfect when it comes to scraping off the little burnt or sticky bits at the bottom of the pan and cookware. This adds amazing flavour to any sauce you’re cooking.
- When decorating a cake, you can dip your whisk into melted chocolate and drizzle it over the top of your cake in elegant patterns to give it a really refined look. We love using chocolate from our chocolate fountain.
Whisks help you in creating a plethora dishes and are a perfect for a family. Families always have different needs and likes when it comes to food and this whisk enables you to meet all of them. Not only that, it also helps out in a lot of every day chores around the kitchen. If your children are interested in cooking then getting them to whisk certain ingredients is the safest way you can involve them in the cooking. Bottom line being, a whisk is a necessity and not a luxury.