We may earn commission from the links in this post
It’s every cook’s worst nightmare: a burned Thanksgiving dinner. But with this recipe, it’s o.k. to burn your bird. The “Blackened Turkey” will be a moist and tender delight for your Thanksgiving guests. It will also scare the heck out of them if they take a look in the oven: the bird will be black and crusty. But peel away the black crust and you’ll have the perfect Thanksgiving turkey.
- Two egg yolks
- One teaspoon Coleman’s Mustard
- One clove garlic, minced
- One tablespoon onion juice
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Two pinches cayenne pepper
- One teaspoon lemon juice
- Add flour to this mixture until it becomes a paste.
- Set this aside. It will be used to cover the turkey after the bird has been browned in a red- hot oven.
- Giblets from turkey
- One bay leaf
- One garlic clove
- Simmer for one hour. After an hour, remove from heat and add one cup apple cider.
- Stir well and keep warm on stove.
- Baste the turkey with this fluid every fifteen minutes until the turkey is done.
Baking the Turkey:
- Rub the turkey inside with butter, salt, garlic and pepper.
- Tie the legs and close the neck.
- Place the bird on the rack breast-side down.
- Turn the oven on as high as it will go and let the oven get red hot.
- Place the turkey in the oven and let it brown about 20 minutes.
- Remove turkey from oven.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 325 degrees.
- While the turkey is still sizzling, paint on the paste with a basting utensil and brush.
- Be sure to cover every bit of the bird.
- Return the turkey to the oven (breast down)
- The paste will dry fairly quickly. When it has dried, remove the turkey and turn the breast up and paint with more paste.
- Return the bird to the oven until the past is dry.
- Remove from the oven and paint again.
- Repeat this process until all of the paste is used.
- Now baste the turkey every 15 minutes until the turkey is done.
- When only ½ hour cooking time remains, remove the turkey and turn it over. This will let the juices run into the breast. When done, remove the turkey from the oven. The bird will be black, but don’t worry!
- With a fork, peel away the black crust and you will have the perfect Thanksgiving turkey!
- Let stand until ready to carve, and enjoy your bird!