We may earn commission from the links in this post
Many people think that coconut oil is unhealthy, yet the opposite is true. If the oil is hydrogenized, it becomes unhealthy but pure, virgin coconut oil is excellent for health and tastes wonderful in a variety of dishes.
Recommended Reading: Get started with baking by reading our Ultimate Guide to the Best Baking Equipment for Beginners!
Pineapple and Coconut Soup Recipe
- 1 medium, sweet pineapple
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 1 jalapeno pepper, deseeded and sliced
- 1 ½ cups water
- pinch curry powder, to taste
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut milk
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- 1 stick cinnamon
- salt to taste
- Puree pineapple and set aside.
- Puree onions and jalapeno, then saute them in butter until soft.
- Add water, pineapple puree and curry powder.
Add milk, coconut milk and shredded coconut and allow to simmer.
Lamb and Lentil Curry with Coconut Milk
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil (Here’s some olive oil dispensers you may like)
- 900g/2lb lamb, cut into cubes
- 1 large onion, chopped (Here are some great onion choppers for you!)
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed (Here are some great garlic presses for you!)
- 1 red sweet pepper cut into cubes
- 1 tbsp curry powder
- ½ teasp dried chilli
- 1 teasp ground ginger
- ½ teasp black pepper
- 1 tbsp flour
- 1 x can chopped tomatoes
- 2 cups lamb stock
- 1 cup brown lentils, washed and drained
- ½ cup coconut milk
- Brown the lamb in heated oil. Remove.
- Fry the onion, garlic and red pepper until soft.
- Add curry powder, chili, ginger, seasoning and flour. Mix into onion mixture.
- Add tin of tomatoes and stock. Stir, add lamb, lentils and coconut milk. Simmer for one hour.
- Serve with brown rice.
Easiest Ever Coconut Macaroon Recipe
- 3 cups shredded coconut
- 1 cup sweetened condensed milk
- pinch salt
- 1 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- Generously grease baking sheets.
- Combine all ingredients; stir until well blended.
- Drop by teaspoonfuls, 2cm apart, on prepared baking sheets. Press down with the back of spoon to even thickness. Bake at 350° for 15 minutes (180° C) or until macaroons are golden brown. Watch carefully because they burn easily. Cool and remove from baking sheet.
- Makes about 36 coconut macaroons.
Coconut oil makes an excellent ingredient in smoothies, making them taste rich and satisfying. Dried and shredded coconut can last for 6 months in a sealed container, while coconut milk and coconut cream can be stored for up to a year in the grocery cupboard. This makes it useful ingredient to keep on hand for cooking and baking.
While you’re here, be sure to check out our kitchen product reviews!