We may earn commission from the links in this post
Alternatively for a vegetarian option, omit the bacon from the recipe and it will still be very delicious. You can also opt to use sour cream instead of cream, depending on your tastebuds.
This dish can be served as a light lunch by itself, with a side salad, or served with a roast dinner. This tasty potato bake is very easy to make and is also very healthy with lots of vegetables.
If you are a parent, it is a good option for the children if you are having trouble getting them to eat their vegies.
Potato Bake Ingredients
- ½ teaspoon butter or margarine
- 4 large potatoes cut into ½ cm slices
- 1 onion sliced (Here are some great onion choppers for you!)
- 1 cup cream
- 1 egg beaten
- ¼ cup milk
- Freshly ground salt and pepper
- ¼ cup grated cheese
- Preheat the Oven to 180°C fan forced. In a medium ceramic brush it with butter or spray with oil, and place a layer of potatoes on the bottom of the dish to cover the base of it.
- Then add a layer of onions, and repeat this process until the potato and onion are all used up.
- In a medium bowl add the cream, egg, milk, salt and pepper and whisk with a fork to combine.
- Pour the liquid over the potato and onion mix and top with the bacon and cheese. Cover with foil and place in the oven for 40 minutes.
- Then remove the foil and bake for 10 minutes or until the cheese is lightly golden on the top. Remove from the oven and allow to sit for 5 minutes, then cut into portions and serve.
There are many different varieties of potato that you could use for this recipe, but some potatoes work better in some recipes depending on whether you are baking, boiling, mashing, making chips, a salad or roasting them.
This is due to the flesh of the potato and their water content, and this in turn affects the flavour of the overall dish depending on which variety of potato you decide you use.
When the potatoes are growing, the soil and how they are grown also affect the overall taste of the potato. For this recipe, King Edwards, Delaware or Desiree are the best type of potato to use.
To change this recipe, you could omit the potato and try a variety of different combinations including broccoli, cauliflower, or combine these two vegetables for a tasty bake, sweet potato, or a mixture of carrot, cauliflower and broccoli. To make this recipe leave out the potato, and cut the desired vegetables into small chunks and continue with the recipe.
While you’re here, be sure to check out our kitchen product reviews!