We may earn commission from the links in this post
Makes about 1 pound of candy.
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup
- 1 cup roasted, salted peanuts **
- 1 tablespoon butter or margarine
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- Place sugar and corn syrup in a 2-quart (2L) casserole dish. Stir. Cook uncovered on high (100%) for 4 minutes.
- Stir in peanuts. Cook on high (100%) for about 6 minutes more, checking at 1 minute intervals until golden.
- Add butter and vanilla. Stir. Cook on high (100%) for about 1 minute more.
- Stir in baking soda. While the mixture is still foamy, pour and spread thinly into a greased baking sheet. Cool. Break into pieces.
** If using raw peanuts, add them with the sugar and syrup along with 1/8 teaspoon of salt. (Check out our recommended salt and pepper grinder sets!)
Note: This recipe is based on a 700 watt microwave. If your microwave has a higher wattage, reduce the cooking times slightly. If it is a lower wattage, increase the cooking time. It is always better to undercook something and then add more time if needed.
While you’re here, be sure to check out our kitchen product reviews!