We may earn commission from the links in this post
Growing up, the kitchen in my home was “mom’s playroom”. When I was old enough, mom let me watch as she made her creations. I am so fortunate that she passed this and many more of our family recipes down to me. This recipe for Applesauce Muffins is one of her favorites and mine too. I really loved them fresh from the oven with just a little bit of butter. So did my whole family. I think that is why she made them quite a bit as I was growing up. It’s a very easy muffin recipe and takes less than one hour to make them. These muffins are made with healthy ingredients and are a great alternative to store bought.
- 1 ¾ cups whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ¾ teaspoons cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoons ginger
- 1 egg
- ¾ cup applesauce
- ½ cup honey
- 1/3 cup oil
- ¼ cup apple juice
- ½ cup chopped nuts
- ½ cup raisins
- Cooking spray
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Using a muffin pan, insert a paper muffin cups into each slot and spray each lightly with cooking spray.
- Stir together the flour, baking powder, cinnamon and ginger.
- Combine the egg, applesauce, honey, apple juice and oil. Add the flour mixture, nuts and raisins.
- Fill each muffin cup half way with the mixture. Bake for 25 minutes at 350 degrees.
- Remove the muffins from the oven to a cooling rack.
- Let stand for about 10 minutes.
- Remove muffins from pan and let cool for five more minutes.
Serve with a little butter with your favorite meal. Makes twelve.
Recommended reading: Best Apple Peelers
The baking time for these muffins can be shortened by five minutes if the oven is set to 400 degrees. Use two egg whites instead of one egg. Try using dried cranberries from a food dehydrator instead of raisins. For a fun twist, use a flavored applesauce. The possibilities are endless!
While you’re here, be sure to check out our kitchen product reviews!
User Review( votes)