We may earn commission from the links in this post
One of the simple pleasures in life is the sweet flavor of a fresh, ripe Bartlett pear. Bartlett pears are also delicious baked. This flavorful fruit combines well with apples to create a satisfying fall dessert to serve on weeknights or at family gatherings.
Selecting Bartlett Pears and Apples for Apple Pear Crisp
To make this easy apple fall dessert, choose ripe, medium-sized Bartlett pears free of scars or soft spots. When completely ripe, Bartlett pears will be yellow and smell wonderful. If ripe pears are not available, buy Bartlett pears light green in color and place in a paper bag and store in a cool, dry location. The pears should ripen in just a few days.
Recommended Reading: Get started with baking by reading our Ultimate Guide to the Best Baking Equipment for Beginners!
In this apple pear crisp recipe, combine Bartlett pears with Granny Smith apples. A quality Granny Smith apple will be firm, smooth and deep green in color. Avoid apples with dark spots or soft areas.
Ingredients and Directions for Making Apple Pear Crisp
- 4 Bartlett Pears, peeled and cored
- 6 Granny Smith Apples, peeled and cored
- ½ cup of granulated sugar
- 3 Tablespoons of all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Spray with cooking spray or butter a 9 x 13-inch baking dish.
- Dice the peeled and cored Bartlett pears into large chunks and place in large bowl.
- Dice the apples into large chunks and place in bowl.
- Add the sugar, flour and cinnamon to the bowl and mix together.
- Pour into the greased 9 x 13-inch pan.
Apple Pear Crisp Fall Dessert Topping Ingredients:
- 6 Tablespoons of cold unsalted butter cut into small pieces
- 2/3 cup of all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup of rolled oats
- ¾ cup of brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon of ground cinnamon
- Mix the topping ingredients for the apple pear crisp together using an electric mixer on low speed until coarse crumbs form. Pour the topping for this fall dessert over top of the Bartlett pear and apple mixture until the fruit is covered completely.
- Place the baking dish in the oven and bake at 350 degrees F for approximately 50 minutes. Bake until juices are bubbling and thick and the topping is a nice golden brown. Serve warm and top with ice cream if desired. This easy fall dessert yields about 8 servings.
For dinner parties, consider serving guests their own individual serving of this easy fall dessert. To make individual servings of apple pear crisp use 8-ounce baking dishes and reduce the cook time to 25 to 30 minutes.
Welcome the cool days of autumn with this easy fall dessert. Apple pear crisp made with in-season fruit like Bartlett pears and Granny Smith apples provides a satisfying treat as well as some valuable nutrients like Vitamin C.
While you’re here, be sure to check out our kitchen product reviews!
User Review( votes)