We may earn commission from the links in this post
Irish Soda Bread is a staple food in Ireland. With the biscuit type quality, it is great warm from the oven with butter and jam! The cross cut on the top was marked so the bread could be divided into equal portions. This bread is very easy to make, no proofing is required. Just mix together, roll in a ball, flatten, cut the top, egg wash and bake! This version of soda bread was designed to enhance the flavors of today by, including butter, sugar, caraway seeds and raisins.
Irish Soda Bread
- Pre-Heat Oven to 400°
- Egg Wash
- Egg – 1 (Beat egg with 2 Tbs of water) – Set Aside
1. Mix together (Hand stir or use upright mixer with paddle)
- Flour – 3 Cups
- Salt – 1 tsp (Check out our recommended salt and pepper grinder sets!)
- Baking Soda – 1 tsp
- Sugar – ¼ Cup
- Butter (Softened) – 1/4 Cup
2. Add to mixture (Hand stir or use upright mixer with paddle)
- Caraway Seeds (Optional) – 1 Tbs
- Raisins (Optional) – 1/2 cup
3. Add to mixture (Hand stir or use upright mixer with hook)
- Buttermilk – 1 ¼ Cup
- After mixing all the ingredients together, place dough on a lightly floured surface (adding more flour as needed). Dough will be just a little sticky, flour your hands and knead the dough.
A. Roll the dough in a ball.
B. Flatten with your hands keeping the circular shape.
D. Take a pastry brush and spread Egg Wash over the top and sides of dough.
Sprinkle some Caraway Seeds on top to decorate. Prepare your pan by either using parchment paper or by spraying with non-stick cooking spray. Place dough (use a spatula under the dough for support) on the prepared pan. Bake for 30 – 40 minutes until very golden brown. To test if done, you can tap on the bottom of the bread for a hollow sound. Wrap in a tea towel and serve warm!
Yield: 4 – 6 Servings
Serve with butter and your favorite jams or jellies. Hot tea or Irish coffee compliments this treat well!
Have fun using food coloring and making shapes!
To Color: Add green food coloring when you add the buttermilk. To color after baking, spray bread with green Edible Food Coloring Spray.
To Shape: Pull off 3 equal amounts of dough for the leaves and 1 smaller amount for the stem. Roll each leaf into a ball and flatten. Place each flatten leaf onto the pan over-lapping in the center area. (The pieces need to touch in order for the pieces to bake together) Roll the dough for the stem a little elongated and place under the center part of the leaves. Egg wash and bake! Baking time 20 – 30 minutes
Store in the best bread box!
While you’re here, be sure to check out our kitchen product reviews!