We may earn commission from the links in this post
One person can make the ground lamb mixture while the other prepares the phyllo or you can coordinate your efforts together. Always thaw out phyllo dough a few hours before, don’t defrost in microwave. Ask your butcher for ground lamb.
- ½ package of phyllo dough sheets
- 1/3 cup melted butter
- 1 lb ground lamb
- Pepper and salt to taste
- 2 tablespoons olive oil for frying (Here’s some olive oil dispensers you may like)
- 1 large white onion (Here are some great onion choppers for you!)
- 2 green onions
- 1 large garlic clove, crushed (or 2 teaspoons powder garlic) (Here are some great garlic presses for you!)
- 1/3 cup peas (fresh or frozen and thawed)
- ¼ pound or ½ cup cubed cheddar or havarti cheese.
- ¼ cup Parmesan
- 1 medium tomato (either plumb or roma)
- Oregano to taste
Sprinkle salt and pepper on lamb. Chop up white and trim green onions.
Brown meat in a heavy skillet on high heat using 1-tablespoon olive oil. (If you’re using powder garlic add it while browning the lamb) Add white onions, green onions, crushed garlic, and the other tablespoon of olive oil. Fry till onions are soft and limp but just before they turn brown. Add peas and cook for 5 minutes. Preheat oven to 350.
Gently (two hands are better for this) lift one sheet of phyllo onto a board. With a pastry brush paint the edges and corners of the sheet. Place a second Phyllo sheet on top of the first. If you wish put on an extra layer that way its a bit stronger.
Take 1/3 cup of the lamb mixture and place it in the middle of the Phyllo sheets. Place two slices of tomatoes, 2 cubes of cheddar or havarti cheese on top. Sprinkle tomatoes with Parmesan cheese and oregano. Gently fold up the Phyllo to cover and enclose the lamb mixture. Paint more butter on the edges and brush the top with butter. Spray a Copper Chef Set or Gotham Steel pan and place the Phyllo packets on top.
Bake till Phyllo is golden brown around 20 to 30 minutes. Serve hot with rice.
While you’re here, be sure to check out our kitchen product reviews!