We may earn commission from the links in this post
Many cooks avoid using marrows because they aren’t sure how to prepare them. To peel or not to peel, that is often the burning question. The next question is usually regarding the seeds – which in marrows are quite large – should they be removed prior to cooking or can they be left in?
Preparing Marrow for Cooking
The good news is that this much under rated vegetable is very easy to prepare and cooks speedily with great results. It is essential to choose marrows that have not grown excessively and whose skins are still quite tender. This ensures that the seeds inside are still very soft and so haven’t yet developed a tough membrane. The whole of the marrow can be used and there is no need to remove the pithy inside.
Recommended reading: Best Paleo Diet Cookbooks
Simply take the marrow and wash it under the tap, removing any soil or damaged skin areas. Then chop it into two or three cylindrical chunks. Halve the cylinders lengthwise and then cut them into quarters. Each quarter can then be further chopped into bite sized chunks.
Marrow and Bean Bake Recipe
- One Chopped marrow
- One large Spanish onion, chopped quite finely (Here are some great onion choppers for you!)
- One tin of Chopped Tomatoes
- One stock cube (choose a vegetarian cube for vegetarian diners)
- One tin of Red Chilli Beans
- Chopped fresh parsley (half a cup) or dried parsley (a teaspoon)
- Stock made with the cube (300ml)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Take a large thick bottomed pan and saute (lightly fry) the onion in a desert spoon of olive oil (Here’s some olive oil dispensers you may like)
- Tip in the marrow chunks
- Add the chopped tomatoes
- Add the tin of chili beans
- Season with the salt and pepper
- Add the stock
- Now put the lid on and cook for 20 minutes on a moderate heat until the marrow is cooked through but before it loses its lovely green color. Then in the last few minutes toss in the fresh parsley or the dried parsley.
Serving Suggestion for Veggie Marrow Bean Bake
For a really speedy and tasty supper dish, serve it with speedy cook Couscous. The above recipe should serve 6 generous portions.
For added protein vegetarians may like to try putting in chunks of mozzarella cheese in the final five minutes of cooking. Simply dot the top of the casserole with the chunks of mozzarella and lightly press into the delicious tomato juices.
Heart Healthy Recipe
This recipe is heart healthy, i.e. suitable for those who are looking to eat a healthy diet low in fat, high in vitamins and fiber. To reduce the fat content, please choose the mozzarella light which is a fat reduced cheese. However don’t worry about the olive oil as that is beneficial for the health.
While you’re here, be sure to check out our kitchen product reviews!
User Review( votes)