We may earn commission from the links in this post
Year after year we follow the same thanksgiving turkey recipes and end up with the same thanksgiving dinner. This year try something different and add a fresh new twist to your thanksgiving Turkey. Recipes such as the following will add that perfect twist to your family meal. My family has enjoyed this turkey recipe for years hopefully yours will as well.
What you will need:
- 1 whole Turkey (12-14 lbs thawed)
- ½ cup fresh sage leaves
- ½ cup fresh rosemary sprigs
- 1 apple – cut in fourths
- 1 stalk celery – cut in half
- ½ cup melted butter
- 1 medium onion – cut in half
- What you will need:
- Cookwareand Utensils-
- Shallow roasting pan
- Aluminum foil
- Carving fork
- Carving knife
- Serving platter
- Measuring cups
- Meat thermometer
Step by Step Preparation and Cooking Instructions:
- Remove neck and giblets from thawed turkey; set aside (if you plan to use them) or discard.
- Rinse turkey completely in cold water and pat dry.
- Loosen skin from around the breast of turkey -do not completely detach. .
- Place onion, apple and celery into the neck cavity.
- Then place the sage and rosemary under the loosened skin (from step 4) and smooth skin back over the sage and rosemary.
- Set the turkey, breast side up, on a rack in a shallow roast pan and coat or brush on the melted butter.
- Tent – aluminum foil loosely over turkey (so foil is not touching top of turkey). Bake in the oven at 325* degrees for approx. 3 ½ to 4 hrs – until temp registers at about 180* degrees and juices run clear. Check occasionally during cooking so as to not overcook.
- Remove turkey from oven and let stand for approx. 20 minutes before carving.
Carving and Serving:
The first thing you’ll want to do is to remove one of the legs. To do this gently pull the leg away from the turkey using the tip of the knife find the joint right above the thigh that connects it to the turkey and cut. This should not be hard if you are cutting in the right place. The find the joint and remove the thigh from the leg using the same method. As soon as the leg is removed you can begin cutting the meat from the leg. To do this hold the leg upright meaty side down and cut in a downward motion. You can also leave it whole if you or someone prefers to eat it this way.
Next remove the wings using the same method as above used to remove the legs.
Finally, you can begin cutting and preparing to serve the rest of your turkey. To begin carving steady your turkey with the carving fork and slowly carve the turkey breast in downward slightly angled slices. Begin with small slices, the slices will gradually get bigger as you carve. Pay special attention that you are not cutting the slices unevenly and as you remove each slice place neatly on a platter. Note: The turkey will cool fast so make sure you are ready to serve immediately or that you have your famous hot gravy recipe made up and ready to serve over your thanksgiving turkey. All that is left to do is to Enjoy!
Editor’s note: If you don’t already have an oil less turkey fryer, check out our recommendations for the best turkey fryers here.
User Review( votes)