We may earn commission from the links in this post
A perfect bowl of chicken wings is almost universally viewed as one of the most delightful meals that we crave, and when prepared the right way, for example, according to some of the famous recipes out there, its’ deliciousness is bolstered even further to heavenly levels.
However, even food enthusiasts more often than not leave behind a couple of pieces as leftovers. And akin to what we do with all leftover food, in the fridge, it goes. But the next time we want to enjoy these goodies, if they are not appropriately reheated, which happens very frequently with non-savvy consumers, one wouldn’t be able to experience that same fantastic taste again, and even the color is sometimes off point.
But fear not! You won’t have to bring back the Deep Fryer and cook them all over again! As we wrapped our heads around this problem, this article was born in the hopes of showing you how to reheat chicken wings in a way that preserves their essence and reverts them back to their initial state of crispy goodness. So relax, have a cup of Tea, and behold as we demonstrate how we do it!
Three Convenient Ways to Perfectly Reheat Wings:
Here are three of the best ways to reheat your wings!
#1 – The Good Ol’ Oven
The easiest and most convenient way for the wings to lose the disliked sagginess gained overnight and regain their pleasant crunchiness is to prepare your Baking Tools and just throw them in the oven; our primordial kitchen companion. Basically, go through your Bakeware Set for a baking pan, and all else you’ll be needing is only aluminum foil, and of course, an oven. You can use a Roaster Oven as well.
- Heat the oven beforehand to about 350 degrees.
- Bring the chicken wings and let them sit for a while until they reach room temperature.
- Cover the pan with aluminum foil.
- Put the wings in the pan, and put them in the oven for about 15 minutes.
- At a certain point, they will regain their crunchiness and color, you can then take them out.
- Give them 5 minutes to cool off.
- And they’re now ready to be served!
On a side note, you can use a tiny bit of water as to not let them dry out. Additionally, it’s advised to perform a check every couple of minutes for the speed of reheating is dependant on the size of the pieces, to avoid them coming undone. And don’t forget your Oven Mitt, safety first folks!
#2 – Re-Frying Them:
Okay, I know I told you won’t have to cook them again, but don’t worry, this time it won’t be as tedious! Easier than using your Coffee Grinder, Re-Frying wings will only take a few quick minutes, and will generate a pretty great outcome because they will come out as delicious as they were the first time. For this method the requirements are quite simple, search in your Nonstick Cookware Sets for a frying pan, that and some oil will suffice. Maybe add Potato Mashers, if you’d like mashed potatoes to go with it!
- Bring the chicken wings out and let them sit as usual to get them to room temperature.
- Put the frying pan or skillet on the stove and heat it using a high temperature.
- Add the oil to the pan.
- Being quite careful of the heated oil, add the wings.
- Continue with the frying process for a couple of minutes while making sure to cover all the sides by flipping them over a few times.
- As soon as you’re satisfied with the result, get them off the pan and put them on a dish.
- Wait for them to cool off for a bit.
- And voilà! Now they are ready to be consumed with pleasure.
Don’t forget to use tongs to avoid burns and the like, and placing some paper towels on the dish will help absorb some of the excess oil which is highly unwanted. Alternatively, you can use a Cooling Rack if you have one.
#3 – Using the Microwave:
Microwaving the wings as they are will only cause them to dry out further and leave you with undesirable food, so we’ve sought out a certain method that proved suitable for giving us the crucial result. This is a somewhat complicated method, so it necessitates a few tools, such as a microwave-safe plate, a paper towel, a baking tray, an oven, and a microwave obviously.
- Heat the oven prematurely to approximately 350 degrees.
- Dampen the paper towel, then coat the microwave-safe plate with it.
- Place the wings on the plate.
- Cover the chicken with another layer of damp paper towel.
- Turn on the microwave and put it on medium heat.
- Heat the wings for a couple of minutes in the microwave, to get them to being a bit warm and being careful not to surpass that stage!
- After taking them out of the microwave, place them on the baking tray.
- Insert them into the preheated oven.
- Wait for about a minute or so.
- Flip them on the other side and insert them back in.
- Wait for another minute.
- Now they are ready to be served!
The Maximum Time for Reheating the Wings Without Them Going Bad:
Chicken is as fragile as any other type of meat. Cooked wings shouldn’t be left for more than 2 hours in room temperature, as bacteria will infest it, especially since it thrives in moist, warm environments. That’s why any leftovers have to be put safely in the refrigerator, guaranteeing the edibility and soundness of them, instead of being left out in the open which constitutes an open invitation for malicious parasites. As a general rule of thumb, always get your Food Storage Container ready as soon as you finish eating, or use a FoodSaver.
We have given you three different but equally satisfying methods of reheating chicken wings back to their original crunchy texture and golden color, and in our humble opinion, using the oven is the one that gives the better result overall.
Microwaving them, on the other hand, contributes to drying out the pieces and removing that exquisite taste out of them. However, it can be remedied by using the oven for a couple of minutes afterward as it does a wonderful job of bringing them back to shape. This way, one can still taste the wings as if it’s the first time they were cooked.
Re-frying is an equally great process as well, giving excellent results akin to those the oven provides.
You can always try out different methods, for varying results, using an air fryer for example,
In the end, don’t throw away the wings and make Pasta! Because you don’t have to stress yourself over the choice, it is irrelevant if it gives the desired outcome, just prepare your Can Opener and your Beer Glass, and enjoy your drinks and adequately heated wings tonight! But, the thing that we want to stress on is that if you’re not sure of how much time has elapsed since cooking those wings, it’s safer to just throw them away instead of reheating them with this uncertainty. That’s because even slightly rotten meat can have dire consequences like food poisoning, etc.. So please don’t risk your health!
While you’re here, be sure to check out our kitchen product reviews!