Cinnamon rolls are a delicious treat popular with kids and adults alike. This simple and delicious baked goods item are especially popular as a tasty breakfast food, but are also tasty as a snack or dessert.
Recommended Reading: Get started with baking by reading our Ultimate Guide to the Best Baking Equipment for Beginners!
This particular tasty and simple cinnamon roll recipe also has a slight touch of cardamom and orange peel for a more zesty and flavorful cinnamon roll.
- About 2 dozen cinnamon rolls
- 30 to 40 Minutes
- 1 hour
- 350 Fahrenheit
- 1 hour
- 20 to 25 minutes
Cooking Supplies Needed:
- Medium saucepan
- 2 11 by 9 inch baking dishes, ungreased
- Mixing spoons
- Measuring cups
- Measuring spoons
- Large mixing bowl
- Basting brush
- Serrated bread knife
- Rolling pin
- Metal spatula
Ingredients for Cinnamon Roll Dough:
- 1 cup milk
- ½ cup butter or cooking oil such as canola oil or vegetable oil
- ½ cup white or brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon cardamom, optional
- 2 teaspoons finely grated orange peel, optional
- 3 eggs
- 5 cups flour
- 2 packages yeast, dissolved in ¼ cup warm water
For for more fiber filling cinnamon rolls use one cup whole wheat flour for one cup all-purpose white flour.
Ingredients for Cinnamon Roll Filling:
- 7 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- Cinnamon, to taste
- 1 cup chopped pecans or walnuts, optional
How to Make Easy and Traditional Cinnamon Rolls
- Scald milk, butter, white sugar, salt, and vanilla in medium sized saucepan.
- Cool and add to large mixing bowl. Mix in one cup flour and optional cardamom and orange zest if desired. Beat in eggs one at a time. Add yeast and water mixture. Mix thoroughly with the best hand mixer.
- Add remaining flour to cinnamon roll dough. Knead cinnamon roll dough until smooth and elastic.
- Let cinnamon roll dough rise, preferably in a warm place, until double, about an hour.
- Roll dough out into a square shape, about fifteen to twenty-five inches, on a lightly floured surface.
- Melt butter or margarine. Brush melted butter with basting brush onto rolled out cinnamon roll dough. Evenly spread brown sugar and cinnamon, to taste, onto cinnamon rolls. Evenly spread chopped pecans or walnuts onto cinnamon roll dough batter.
- Roll cinnamon rolls. Cut rolls about an inch and a half. Firmly press rolls about an inch apart on lightly greased baking dishes. Let rolls rise until double.
- Bake rolls at 350 Fahrenheit, on middle shelf in oven, for around 20 to 25 minutes. The rolls should be slightly golden when cooked and a toothpick inserted in roll should come out clean when properly baked. Serve warm or cold. When cool, if desired, store cinnamon rolls in airtight container, for up to two weeks.
Additionally, you can frost cinnamon rolls using a simple powdered sugar frosting recipe.
While you’re here, be sure to check out our kitchen product reviews!
Average rating / 5. Vote count: